Sunday, May 17, 2009

Power Mile - The Fort (May 17, 2009)


Kudos to the organizers of Power Mile. I have never attended a race as well organized as this one. Actually, I emailed the organizers to tell them that I'm expecting lots of water during the race. They answered me back to say that they will make sure of that and make sure they did... I think the runners were all amply hydrated during the race which is very very good. And the water was very cold ergo thirst-quenching...

I went to the race prepared. It was my first 8K. I trained for 8ks the entire week in the gym so I know what to expect in terms of distance. The race started at exactly 5:45 am. It was kind of intimidating to join a longer distance because I felt that the runners were essentially "experienced" runners. But in any case, I wasn't in it to win. It's for personal fulfillment.

As usual I started the race with my normal pacing probably 8 minutes per km. I targeted this one girl who looks experienced that I hope I can pace with. She had a garmin and hydration belt so medyo wrong target which I soon learned. She had a pretty fast pace. I on the other hand made a mistake of wearing a patella band around my left knee hoping that it will help support my knee. However, within 2 km of the race, the band fell of my knee because of the sweat. So I had to go to the side to take it off... Lost seconds for me...

Sometimes it amazes me how an 8km in the gym feels so long outside... That route was quite difficult for me. For one, it was hilly.. Going to McKinley was already hilly, along the S&R was a little hilly as well.. even the stretch along the British school was also uphill... my pacing went from 8 mins to 9 mins per km. Along the S&R stretch I was pacing with this American who I think is about 55 years old or more. We were really running side by side until he went ahead of me and I think finished 5 minutes ahead of me.. Oh well, I'm only 5 while he's 5'10 I think. But still, I hope I can be like him one day... strong and steady....

When I saw the finish line turning right from 5th avenue, I felt so relieved that it was the end. But again, I was confident so I finished strong. I didn't walk anywhere along the route except for quick stops to drink water. I have yet to master drinking while running. Nabibilaukan talaga ako kaya I have to walk while doing it. I finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes based on my Php250 stopwatch.. Haha.. yun ang gamit ko. It's a watch I bought in one of the tiangges in Singapore for my son Rafael na hindi niya ginagamit. I go rather than buy a Garmin I will use this one first kasi newbie pa naman ako... may stopwatch din naman ... haha... (Note: Official time 1 hour and 7 minutes... not bad....)

Running the 8k gave me new confidence that I can do the 10K. Hindi ako humahagod kanina. In fact, I was able to converse agad with my sister at the finish line. By the way, my sister entered the 2 mile and finished in 35 minutes. I'm very proud of her. Way to go...

So the hard part now is which race to run on Sunday... So many races to choose from but I want to be careful with what to pick in terms of route, distance and organizer. Takot ako sa injury that's why I painstakingly assess each. I don't want to overdo myself.. I stretch a lot... I drink ample amounts of water... I don't eat much before a race... I get enough sleep ... I do my after race stretching... Ang tawag dito PRANING!!! Haha.... Di bale na... safe naman....

No comments:

Post a Comment