Sunday, August 30, 2009

Running Disaster

It's been 15 days since the Kenny Urbanite Run.  Up to now I still feel very disappointed with what happened to me in that run.  To think that it was my first 15K race.  I imagined my self blogging about the run the minute I get home. But instead, it took me 15 days to finally log on to my blogsite and create a record of that run.  Haay...

I finished the 15K run in 2 hours and 18 minutes. I was included in the last 30 finishers when my goal was to finish it in 2 hours.  Not that I didn't prepare for it because I did.  I had my trial 15Ks twice before the run. But the thing is, I made a very bad mistake of drinking Mocha Java before the run with whip cream and all!!  I'm sure you guys can already guess what happened. :)

That was really bad judgement on my part.  I got to the venue by 7:30 pm I think.  The last food intake I had was lunch time.  I thought that I might run out of energy during the run with the gun starting at 8:15 pm so I decided to grab something before the run. I can't remember what made me get that Mocha Java.. the Php 50.00 discount??? Hehe.. the price I had to pay for that Php 50.00 off..  Here's what happened:

(1)  I started off anxious and nervous because it was my first 15K;
(2)  I ran with a buddy to whom I'm very thankful.  We had an agreement that he will pace me for this race.  He did more than that,  he kept the sanity I had left for the last 3kms of the race. If not for him,  I would have taken a cab to the finish line;
(3)  Started the race with a pace of 8 minutes per kilometer.  The idea is to conserve my energy and finish the race strong;
(4)  0 km to 12 km went a-ok...  although I can really feel the distance of the 15K... when I saw that we were going inside McKinley Hill my jaw literally dropped but then I really felt I won't have any major problem with it except that I will have to slacken the pace even more..
(5)  12.1 km I felt my tummy started to grumble and eventually it started to ache pretty bad.  I knew I had to go to the restroom to relieve myself but  I just couldn't. I wanted to finish the race first otherwise I will finish last.
(6)  Boy, it was really hard to run when your tummy is aching so I had to walk 2km or so.  My running bud was nice enough to get the hydration belt from me just to lessen the pressure..
(7)   I ran the remaining 1 km to the finish line.  And..... as if I didn't have enough running I ran all the way  to the restroom.. I picked the restroom of the joint where I bought the drink from because I felt they deserved it...no offense really... I was just grouchy that time..
(8)  Relieved I went back to the finish line, apologized to my running bud cum running coach and scowled all the way home..

I was embarassed and disappointed.   I regret having that Mocha Java.  I felt that all the preparations I did went to waste because of that drink.  My running bud tried to lift my spirits up saying that there are other races but I wanted to do a 2-hour on this particular race.  I felt like not running anymore.. but then after two days I ran again... Hehe...

I registered again for the 15K today for the Rotarun.  Next time I know better.  Lessons learned:

(1) Mocha Java and Gatorade don't mix;
(2) Don't get too excited along the run because it will upset your stomach.  Relax and just enjoy the run ( I think I got too excited when I saw the 12km mark );
(3)  Not all runs will be good ones... there will be bad runs ... don't scowl but just run again...
(4)  From my running bud:  The important thing is I finished... not a DNF...

Looking forward to Rotarun.. and then Octoberun for 16K and a half by November... I'm registered for the half in Singapore for which I am preparing... 

No comments:

Post a Comment